Assistant Principal - Elementary
Company: Shelby County Schools
Posted on: May 28, 2023
Purpose and Scope
Assist in the overall administration of assigned elementary school
within the District. The position is responsible for supervising
assigned professional, paraprofessional, administrative and support
personnel and assisting with the planning, implementation and
evaluation of all programs and operations essential to the
operation of a responsive, effective and efficient instructional
environment which provides maximum opportunity for student
vocational growth and development. The position develops and
implements programs within organizational policies; reports major
activities to executive level administrators through conferences
Essential Job Functions
- Assists in overseeing the daily operations and administration
of assigned elementary school; assumes responsibilities of the
Principal in his or her absence.
- Supervises assigned professional, para-professional,
administrative and support staff members, including establishing
staffing standards, organizing, selecting or recommending
selection, assigning and evaluating work, counseling, disciplining,
and terminating or recommending termination; prepares periodic
employee performance evaluations.
- Develops and implements staff training and development programs
- Assists in planning and implementing school-wide programs,
policies, goals and objectives; ensures program and policy
adherence to organizational standards and legal
- Assists in ensuring that all school and District policies are
effectively explained and implemented.
- Assists in establishing and maintaining plans and actions to
accomplish school goals; establishes school calendars and
- Assists in the development of long-range facility needs at
assigned school; assists in coordinating safety and
facility/grounds inspections at the school.
- Assists with the preparation and management of the school
budget; solicits and secures grants for special programs and
projects; may direct or assist with the procurement of equipment
- Assists in reviewing and evaluating the instructional program;
observes classroom environment and makes recommendations for
improvement in instruction and class management as appropriate;
establishes and maintains a system of school-wide textbook
- Assists in coordinating and implementing required standardized
- Maintains high standards of student conduct and enforces
discipline as necessary, complying with due process and rights of
- Provides leadership for and supervision of extracurricular
activities as assigned.
- Coordinates special programs and events as assigned.
- Receives and responds to inquiries, concerns and complaints
from teachers, students and parents; works to resolve
administrative, instructional and behavioral problems.
- Prepares and maintains records and reports required by law,
Board policies and administrative directives; ensures staff
maintain assigned records and prepare required reports with
accuracy and in a timely manner.
- Assists in implementing the public relations program for
- Enforces policies and procedures designed to protect the safety
and welfare of students and staff while on campus.
- Keeps abreast of developments and innovations in the profession
and ensures that staff members remain current as well. - Keeps
supervisor informed of events and activities of an unusual nature
as well as routine matters related to supervisor's
- Performs various administrative/office duties as necessary,
including preparing reports and correspondence, compiling
information and data for reports, copying and filing documents,
receiving and responding to e-mails.
- Represents the school and District at various professional and
community meetings as appropriate.
- Coordinates school programs and activities with those of other
schools, agencies and organizations as appropriate.
- Attends classes, training, conferences, workshops and meetings
as appropriate or necessary to maintain job knowledge and skills
and/or required certifications.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or directed.
- Requires a master's degree in educational administration or
supervision from an accredited college or university.
- State certification in Administration/Supervision at the
elementary and/or secondary level, Educational Leadership, or an
equivalent certification as defined by the Tennessee Department of
- Requires 3 to 5 years of successful teaching experience with
some demonstrated leadership experience.
- An equivalent combination of training, and experience which
provide the knowledge, abilities and skills necessary to perform
effectively in the position may be considered ( Examples: Adult
Higher Education, MBA, Organizational Management, and Public
Degree Equivalency Formula:
Bachelor's Degree= 4 years plus required years of experience.
Master's Degree= 2 years plus required years of experience. Where
Master's degrees are required, years for Bachelor's Degrees must be
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Can demonstrate knowledge of principles and practices of modern
public elementary school education and an ability to apply them to
the needs of the school;
- knowledge of current elementary education curriculum and
instructional practices and trends;
- knowledge of public school organization and administration and
the support activities required;
- ability to plan, organize, and coordinate both instructional
and operational support activities;
- ability to plan and supervise the work of others;
- ability to develop effective working relationships with
students, staff, and the community;
- ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in
Physical Requirements and Working Environment
Physical Demands: Requires sedentary work involving standing or
walking for brief periods, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a
regular basis; and some dexterity in operating office
Unavoidable Hazards: - The position is exposed to no unusual
Sensory (Ada) Requirements: - The position requires normal visual
acuity and field of vision, hearing and speaking abilities.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE
The district is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the
district to provide adequate accommodations to qualified persons
with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged
to discuss ADA accommodations with management.
Keywords: Shelby County Schools, Memphis , Assistant Principal - Elementary, Education / Teaching , Cordova, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...