Director of Facilities Maintenance
Company: Shelby County Schools
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Purpose and Scope
Works under limited direction to provide oversight responsibility
for all Maintenance services; including providing strategic
planning and leadership for maintenance of facilities in order to
maximize efficiency and quality to ensure business strategies and
objectives are met.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides management, supervision, planning, organization, and
scheduling the work of various craft workers such as HVAC,
Electricians, Plumbers, Carpenters, Roofers, etc. May also manage
other functions as assigned such as warehouse, auto shop, print
- Leverages work order management software (SchoolDude) to
understand and prioritize work efforts, staff capacity, and
workload of the organization.
- Manages daily allocation of work and compliance to service
level work order closure expectation. Conducts analysis and
generates reports to set work priorities and direct and manage
- Inspects work and interacts with District customers to ensure
work is complete and stakeholders are satisfied.
- Manages external vendors by ensuring they are in compliance
with contracts and hold vendors accountable to performance-level
- Uses technology (computer, hand-held devices, etc.) to conduct
analyses, generate reports, and present strategies, labor analyses,
etc., to management and other parties.
- Establishes and leads process improvements, efficiency
improvements, and cost-saving strategies.
- Manages program-planning, organization, direction, and control
of the maintenance department including development of short and
long-range plans to ensure business strategies and objectives are
- Develops strategic facility maintenance plans and budgets for
the Department; provides guidance and expertise to all District and
school-level facility maintenance staff; oversees and approves
expenditures and prepares financial forms and
- Directs the preparation and maintenance of a variety of
narrative and statistical reports, records, correspondence, and
files related to assigned service, activities, and operations;
provides for appropriate research and compiles reports, as
- Formulates and enforces standards for repairs/maintenance and
alterations for school facilities throughout the District
(including those for vehicle maintenance).
- Performs other related duties as assigned or directed.
Graduation from an accredited university or college with a
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Public Administration,
Business Administration, or related field; Plus, seven (7) years of
related facility/maintenance experience; OR an equivalent
combination of related education, training, and/or experience
totaling eleven (11) years. (PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND/OR
EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED).
Degree Equivalency Formula:
Bachelor's Degree= 4 years plus required years of experience.
Master's Degree= 2 years plus required years of experience. Where
Master's degrees are required, years for Bachelor's Degrees must be
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong computer skills; ability to prepare spreadsheets,
presentations, and reports.
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills with the ability to
swiftly and accurately understand complex data and perform
- Skill in developing data-supported solutions and using
fact-based logic; ability to translate complex analysis in
easy-to-understand manner and present to a broad audience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Outstanding leadership skills and ability to build
high-performing teams through, both, recruitment and selection and
- Ability to tackle the operational challenges of the merged
school district in a complex, changing, political, and educational
- Ability to manage daily administrative tasks without losing
sight of long-term goals and planning.
Physical Requirements and Working Environment
Physical Demands: Requires sedentary work involving standing or
walking for brief periods, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a
regular basis; and some dexterity in operating office equipment;
must be able to use hands and fingers for sign language.
Unavoidable Hazards: - The position is exposed to no unusual
Sensory (ADA) Requirements: The position requires normal visual
acuity and field of vision, hearing and speaking abilities.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE
SCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. - SCS provides reasonable
accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective
and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations
Keywords: Shelby County Schools, Memphis , Director of Facilities Maintenance, Executive , Memphis, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!